Friday, November 15, 2013

The versatile pancakes

Alright, I’ve been busy all week. There’s been a lot going on at work, the whole “it’s 5:30 pm and it’s dark outside" thing is getting on my nerves, and the weather hating on us with all that snow since October is not really helping. To top it all, I haven't had time to enjoy breakfast the way it was always intended to be (by me, that is) – a perfectly orchestrated routine of having coffee, followed by a nice breakfast, and finished with some chatter over some more coffee (wine’s optional). I mean, what the hell? So I’ve had enough and decided to claim back my breakfast, and re-instate the tradition, no matter what. I’m sorry (#sorrynotsosorry), but that morning meal is one of those little treasures that make life worth living. It just is.



Don’t get me wrong; my breakfast is never too fancy. But I really want to eat something that will make me feel optimistic about the rest of my day. Then I can go on to work singing along to the “Hairspray” soundtrack, pretending that at the end of the day everything will be alright. So to make some sort of a statement, the battle for a happy B-fast time was fought on the griddle. I followed a very simple pancake recipe that always turns out well, it only involves ingredients I always have around, and that can be easily adapted to add variety to my mornings. 




I didn’t grow up eating pancakes often. 

- Gee, Angel… what a surprise! You’re writing about yet another food you used to hate and now you suddenly love. Very original; bravo (Not!).- 

Don’t get the wrong idea. I never hated pancakes. I just didn’t eat them too often. But I’ve gotten into pancakes lately, and I’m glad to say that after many years, I have finally mastered the art of eating pancakes sober!  Isn’t that something? Man, back in the day I would go out with my friends, party all night long (actually just until 2:30 am, it’s Cleveland after all) and then we would hit the IHOP to calm down the 3:00 am munchies. (Ok, I don’t do drugs; I was just hungry. Don’t judge me!). Oh, some of my favorite “Angel memories” happened at that IHOP… 

-“Sir, you can't get into the kitchen.”
-“I have to pee.”
-“Sir, this is the kitchen. The bathroom is down there.”
-“Are you sure?”…

And the ever classic:

-“What can I get for you, Sir?”
-“Eggs”.
-“Ok, eggs. How would you like your eggs?”
-“Well done”. 

Of course, everyone laughed so hard… and then it went on… but I don’t remember anything else (surprise!). What can I say? I think it was an honest mistake. In my defense, burger and egg terminology can be confusing. It could have happened to anyone, even to the Mayor of Toronto, I guess…  Still, I can’t believe that 1, we weren’t kicked out of the U.N. of breakfast foods, or that 2, there’s not a picture of me at the entrance of the restaurant with a “Prevent access at all costs” note on it.


Sober pancakes are also pretty sweet, and I enjoy making them often. Sometimes I add currants,
blueberries or even small grapes to the batter while cooking them to add a fruity element to them. Sometimes I use buttermilk to substitute for the milk and get that fun twist, and every now and then I just don’t feel like using butter and use oil instead. They have always turned out well: fluffy and delicious. The recipe makes more servings than I need to eat, but the unused batter can be saved to make pancakes again the next morning. However, I usually just make the whole thing and just reheat the pancakes in the oven the next day. Works for me! I’m really glad I found this recipe, and I felt now it’s my time to share the love! Enjoy.






On the road shortcut


Nutritional information per serving (8 servings):
153 calories, 22 g carbs, 6 g fat, 5 g protein

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Recipe from AllRecipes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment