Thursday, March 6, 2014

Honey-Strawberry Sauce




Last weekend, my besties and I went to the Grog Shop, a local venue, to see some local indie bands battle it out (for our excitement that is.) All kinds of rock were represented and there was certainly something for everyone. Still, I did notice that besides a band member’s grandma (and apparently also BFF), we were probably the oldest people there. Also, it may have been a bit obvious that we were not regulars. Our outfits, and our faces, probably gave us away. It’s not like we were wearing fancy clothes. I had a long sleeve T shirt and jeans for Christ’s sake. Am I just not hip anymore? What's my age again?




Of course, the cool kids were wearing what can only be described as "self made" couture. I’ve never seen any of that at Banana, or anywhere else, for that matter. It's funny because less than a month ago my parents were saying how happy and relieved they were that my punk/trashy/anti-everything days were over. The self made T shirts (white Ts and red marker, baby), the super torn jeans, the extra wrinkled shirts, the child-molester glasses and the 50 shades of afro terrified them for years. I guess the old me would have fit quite well with the crowd at the concert. Except for the glasses thing… 



Thankfully some things are gone forever. Some remain the same. I still like the same music, I still don't care for the conventional, and I still (inexplicably) loathe royalty. I've also picked up some new things. As I've mentioned before, I recently fell in love with pancakes. I make all kinds of pancakes, and usually serve them with maple syrup. But really, why do I always have to do the same thing? 


This week I decided to change things a bit. I made a strawberry sauce for them that was crazy good. I have made Ellie Krieger's strawberry sauce before, and loved it. But the one I make (which is way too similar) has honey instead of maple syrup. Hers is more like a chunky dressing while mine is a simmered and slightly reduced sauce. Anyway, I think this sauce is perfect to celebrate the constant evolution of oneself and to nurture a body that can support it. 

On the road shortcut 

Nutritional info per serving (4 servings) 
89 calories, 23 g carbs, 1 g fat, 1 g protein 
2 pints strawberries (stemmed) 
1 teaspoon lemon juice 
2 tablespoons honey 

Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Transfer to a saucepan. Add lemon juice and honey. Bring to a gentle simmer, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment